August in Arkansas

These past couple of weeks have been very busy...and very hot.  Actually the entire summer was very hot.  Searcy remained the hottest spot in the state for much of the summer, with temperatures sitting around 105-110 (or hotter, some days).  It's sad when 99 feels like a cool spell.

Grade schools started up this past week, and the university classes begin on Monday.  Life in an academic office really gets cooking the week leading up to the beginning of school.  And next week promises to be even busier.  Incoming freshmen are vital to the continuation of an academic institution of higher learning.  But wow...they are one big mass of hyper energy.  Incoming female freshmen, if they registered early enough, get a newly gutted and refurbished Sears dorm to move into.  Faculty and staff got a sneak peek this past week of the "new" dorm, and I must say it is a vast improvement to the Sears dorm I moved into 12 years ago this weekend.  There are two sinks in each bathroom, with counter space!  Ample storage, and beds that aren't built into the wall.  Oh, and did I mention the rooms are carpeted?  Yep.  Carpet.  I just hope the toilets are more powerful and less clog-prone than the ones in the apartment Sam and I live in.  Just this morning we had two clogged toilets and one overflow.  Not exactly the way I had planned to break in the day.

You will soon notice an additional word count over in the right column.  I have another novel I'm working on; one that I actually started three or four years ago.  I've recently started working on it again.  I haven't stopped working on the one I started in July, but I'm in a holding pattern on that one for the time being.  As you can see, I didn't meet my goal of 10k words in July, but I knew that was a very ambitious goal for a newbie writer.  I'm simple proud that I actually started writing, and I hope to make it more of a weekly habit.  Sam's classes will now be evening (and occasionally weekend) classes.  So I will have at least one evening a week where I can easily work with few distractions.

My plan with the word counts (for the time being) is to increase them at 10k increments.  So when I reach 10k with one of my WIPs (work in progress), I will increase the total to 20k.  When I reach 20k, it will increase 30k.  Etc, etc, etc.

Comments

Daisha said…
I'm glad you returned to that first novel. I liked what I read...

Can't wait to start reading again!

Popular Posts