A Quick Succession of Busy Somethings

Steampunk Woman with a toddler in a library with people working jovially in the background
Image created by AI based on my prompts

Summer. A time for relaxing. Letting your hair down. Going on vacation. Having fun.

Right?

And while I can't say I haven't had some fun this summer, the word I would use to describe the past two months is chaos. Complete and utter chaos.

And there is no end in sight.

Family. Health. Job security (I have some). Procrastination. Travel. New friends. Old friends. Thomas (as in the Tank Engine). Moving. Play-acting. Accomplished. Weddings. Funerals. Money. Fleas. Tears. Celebration. Nesting. Heat (so much heat). Frustration. Hope.

Some of this has passed. Some of this is immediate, inescapable. Some will be delayed or drawn out for the foreseeable future. Some isn't my story, but it swirls around mine, a draught in the room that threatens to rearrange my not-so-neat stacks of paper--which might actually be helpful.

Where's the balance? Where's my equilibrium? It flits in and out, a faithless companion. It's as if I have stepped on a loose board and been whacked in the face and knocked to the ground. Repeatedly. I am pulled to safety, and I get up and try again. I am weak, yet strong.

The paradox within me: a storm-fraught mind and body, and a soul at peace.

For there is One who anchors me. He is Faithful. He is Peace. He doesn't take away the chaos; He makes it bearable...if only I will stop trying to control it (I can't) and let Him carry me.

You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord forever,
for Lord God is an everlasting rock.
--Isaiah 26:3-4 (ESV)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

--Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)

Blessed be the Lord,
who daily bears us up;
God is our salvation.
--Psalm 68:19 (ESV)

Comments

Popular Posts