The Book That Slay Me
January
of last year I took up the 26 Books in 2015 Challenge by Bringing Up Burns. I read 25 of 26 books of
the challenge. I actually read 101 books in 2015, alas you would think I
could have found ONE to fill the final category. One simply was not meant to
be. (Note: if you've read any of my earlier posts about this challenge, you may
notice that I originally intended a book for one category, but in the end moved
it to another. Reader's prerogative.)
#1 A book you own but haven’t read
With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin
A WWII story about flying nurses and medics in North Africa.
Fascinating piece of history I was not familiar with and an enjoyable read.
#2 A book that was made into a movie
Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
The book is good, however I must confess that I also really
enjoyed the movie. I would watch the movie again; the book I would not. Hardy
is always a bit of a slog to read, but **SPOILER ALERT** this one actually has
a happy ending.
#3 A book you pick solely because of the cover
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Thoroughly enjoyed this entire trilogy, but you can read more of
my thoughts in an earlier
blog post.
#4 A book your friend loves
Lord of the Fading Lands by C. L. Wilson
Another enjoyable series, this in the first book. A fantasy romance
with magic, shape shifters, political intrigue, and soul mates. Read more in my
first post.
#5 A book published this year
The Heir by Kiera Cass
Book #4 in The Selection series. It's a not-so-guilty pleasure.
#6 A book by an author you’ve never read before
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Very imaginative and engrossing retelling of The Twelve Dancing
Princesses. It's the start of a series; I've read the second (Princess of
Glass), and I can't wait to read more.
#7 A book by an author you love
The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen
Klassen writes Regency Christian fiction…always with a mystery and
a twist of some sort. Good clean, enjoyable read.
#8 A book at the bottom of your “to-read” pile
The House Bast Made: Reid Cannon, Archaeologist by Lisa M. Collins
Too short, but really good. You can read more in my Goodreads review.
#9 A book with a color in the title
One Lavender Ribbon by Heather Burch
A mystery that spans two different time periods; the past reunites
in the future. But you can read more of my thoughts in an earlier
blog post.
#10 A book set somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit
I Love Capri by Belinda Jones
Capri has always seemed such a glamorous little island. Perhaps
that is simply the Hollywood version, but one day I'd like to visit.
#11 A book you started but never finished
A War Like No Other: How the Athenians & Spartans Fought the
Peloponnesian War by Victor Davis Hanson
Good read if you want to know more about the Peloponnesian wars.
If not, then don't bother. Helps is you know something about this time period
in Grecian history before reading.
#12 A book with a lion, a witch, or a wardrobe
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Hadn't planned to like this book (or the trilogy) but it
sucked me in like Lightening Sand.
#13 A book with a female heroine
Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin
Depression-era Christian fiction about a librarian who ends up in
the Appalachians. Read more in an earlier
post.
#14 A book set in the summer
Steadfast by Mercedes Lackey
Part of Lackey's Elemental Masters series. I'd recommend them all.
Read more in this
blog post.
#15 A book of poems
Love Poems by Emily Dickinson
Thankfully, poetry books are typically short…unless it's a
complete works.
#16 A book you learned about because of this challenge
The Obituary Society by Jessica L. Randall
Quirky characters and mystery. 'Nough said.
#17 A book that will make you smarter
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of
the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S. C.
Gwynne
Interesting look at the end of the Comanches told more from the
Comanche viewpoint. A little biased in some places, seeming to kowtow at times
to the current need to vilify the whites and glorify the 'noble savages', but
all-in-all a well-researched book, well-written historical narrative.
#18 A book with a blue cover
Servant of the Crown by Melissa McShane
Couldn't put this book down. Here's the description. Choose for
yourself if you think you would enjoy it, but beware! If you pick it up, you
will have a hard time putting it down.
#19 A book you were supposed to read in school, but didn’t
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
I just couldn't do it. I didn't read it in senior A.P. English,
and I didn't read it this year. There are so many books out there that I want
to read, why read one that I don't?
#20 A book “everyone” but you has read
Not Off Limits: Questions You Wish You Could Ask at Church by Ross
Cochran
Everyone in Searcy, that is.
#21 A book with a great first line
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
“She’s buried beneath a silver birch tree, down towards the old
train tracks, her grave marked with a cairn.”
#22 A book with pictures
The Day the Crayons Quit by by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers
LOVE this book. Love, love, love!
#23 A book from the library
Not by Sight by Kate Breslin
A WWI story of redemption. And spies.
#24 A book you loved…read it again!
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James
An old favorite. I chose it as my book recommendation for the
summer Faculty Favorite READ poster.
#25 A book that is more than 10 years old
Beauty by Robin McKinley
Originally published in 1978. Imaginative and darn good retelling
of the classic fairytale, Beauty and the Beast.
#26 A book based on a true story
The Doctor’s Lady by Jody Hedlund
Based on true story of New York school teacher Narcissa Prentiss
and Dr. Marcus Whitman who agreed to marry to follow their calling to be
missionaries to Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest. They traveled with
fellow missionaries, Henry and Eliza Spalding. Narcissa and Eliza became the
first white women to cross the Continental Divide in 1836.

Comments