Let's Get Physical, Physical

This week in aerobics we sweated to music from the '80s a la Cindy Lauper, with a few '70s folk rock tunes thrown in for good measure.  I know I've said it before, but I love this class.  The eclectic gathering of women makes it great.  There are the 'encouragers' in the class who whoop when the sweat flows freely and the breaths comes laboriously.  The 'thinkers' whose foreheads remain tightly scrunched in concentration as we move from step to step.  The 'scowlers' who, either in response to the whoops of the encouragers or the relentless drive of the aerobics, keep their faces screwed in a look of fierce dislike or fierce determination...there doesn't seem to be much to differentiate.  Then there are the 'stumblers' who for whatever reason miss the first few beats of each new step;  whether they're easily distracted or simply in their own world, change does not always come easily.

I tend to fall in the latter category...though at times I look up in the mirrored wall to find my facial muscles contracted as if I am ready to fight someone...anyone.  That's when I realize I'm working too hard and not having enough fun.  I shove those tightly wound facial muscles out toward my ears and chin and scalp.  A goofy smile crosses my face, and I can't help but laugh at myself.  The instructor changes the step, and I realize I missed a beat.  Again.  Another chuckle escapes as I swing my concentration to the instructor's feet.  The beat of the music pounds on taking our feet with it.  What a great way to spend an hour.

Comments

Popular Posts