Fiestaware Does Not a Writer Make

Searcy has survived yet another Homecoming. We had a contingent of the Florida Dixons in town staying with Mom & Dad. (A good thing, too, as our apartment was/is in shambles after four days of Sam having flu-like symptoms.) It was great getting to catch up with them, as well as family friends from Frederick, MD. The ladies decided to skip out on the second half of the football game on Saturday to hit a couple of flea markets. I didn't even know Searcy had flea markets. Not sure how I missed out on that one.

One flea market in particular has a booth that sells Fiestaware seconds...meaning each piece has some sort of flaw. Most of the 'flaws' are so minor that you really don't notice them unless you know they are there. However, this does mean that the prices are considerably lower than you would find in a department store. For example, a dinner plate would normally cost $10-15, but here it was only $6.  A place setting normally costs $50, here it was $15 (minus the mug). My cousin was looking to add two new colors to her Fiestaware collection, so we spent an enjoyable 20 minutes debating colors and serving dishes. This may be nerdy of me, but this is one of my favorite memories from the entire weekend. Nothing like debating the merits of heather vs. plum or persimmon vs. tangerine to get the enthusiasm rolling.

On the down side, I got very little writing done this weekend. Sunday afternoon, however, was far more productive. Needing to make a Sam's run in NLR, I took my laptop with me and sat in Barnes & Noble for an hour and a half. I churned out over 1,000 words! I am still woefully behind to daily total, but I am writing, and that is what's important.

Comments

Popular Posts