I Think, Perhaps, I Am Crazy After All

I have joined the local chapter of National Novel Writing Month, affectionately known as NaNoWriMo.  Every November, writers around the country (and probably world) sit down to write 50,000 words in one month.  50k being the average size of a novel.

The idea is to simply write, write, write.  Turn your inner editor off and get words on paper.  Someone on the NaNoWriMo website wrote that December is for editing.  November is for writing.

This past Monday evening, I met up with five other ladies from White County who are taking on the challenge as well.  We will meet every Monday evening for two hours.  During that time, we can simply write or we can ask the group for help if we are stumped on where to go next.  It's like a mini-support group, and I think it is fabulous.  Encouragement and accountability from a real person sitting in front of me, not just some nebulous pep talker at the other end of an email.  One of the ladies in my group has participated in NaNoWriMo for several years but has only reached the 50k goal once.  But she also said that participating has made her a better, stronger writer because it stretches her abilities each year.

The daily word count goal is 1,667.  I was very excited when I reached 3,531 last night.  I had caught up!!!  Except I hadn't.  Not really.  I would have caught up had it still been Tuesday.  Alas.  I may not get much of a chance to catch up this weekend as it is Harding's Homecoming.  Should be interesting.

The idea is to write the entire novel in one month, therefore you aren't supposed to use a work-in-progress (WIP).  So you will notice I have yet another word count meter to the side letting you see my progress.  I will try to update it daily, but I make no promise beyond weekly.

Here is what I ask of you, my three faithful readers.  Ask me how I'm doing with the novel.  Keep prodding me to write.  I may not make the 50k goal, but I would like to get close.  And keep those prayers coming!

Comments

Daisha said…
I expect you to leave a copy with me to read over Thanksgiving Break. (jk)

:)

Seriously, I can't wait to read what you are writing!
(word verification: sallu)

Sallu!

Popular Posts